Coronavirus Update: How Unani medicines help in prevention of COVID-19
Ministry of AYUSH, Government of India, has recently issued a health advisory following a meeting of the research councils under it on how Unani medicines help in prevention of COVID-19, caused owing to Novel Coronavirus (nCov) infection. This advisory suggests the use of following Unani medicines for symptomatic management Coronavirus infection:
(1) Sharbat Unnab (10-20 ml twice a day)
(2) Tiryaq-e-Arba (3-5 grams twice a day)
(3) Tiryaq Nazla (5 grams twice a day)
(4) Khamira Marwareed (3-5 grams once a day)
(5) Roghan Baboona / Roghan Mom / Kafoori Balm for massage on scalp and chest
(6) Roghan Banafsha to be applied gently in the nostrils
(7) Arq Ajeeb (4-8 drops in water, four times a day)
(8) Habbe Akseer Bukhar (in case of fever, take 2 pills with lukewarm water, twice daily)
(9) Sharbat Nazla (10 ml mixed in 100 ml of lukewarm water, twice daily)
(10) Qurs-e-Suaal (2 tablets to be chewed, twice daily)
(11) Arq extracted from following single Unani drugs along with Sharbat Khaksi: Chiraita (Indian Gentian), Kasni (Common Chicory), Afsanteen (Common Sagewort), Nankhawa (Ajowan), Gaozaban (Borage), Neem Bark (Margosa), Saad Kufi (Cypriol)
(12) A decoction of the following single Unani drugs can be used: Behidana (Quince), Unnab (Jujubi), Sapistan (Assyrian Plum), Darchini (Cinnamon), Banafsha (Sweet Violet), Berg-e-Gaozabaan (Borage)
(13) A decoction of the following single Unani drugs can be used in case of sore throat: Khashkhash, Bazrulbanj, Post Khashkhash, Barg-e-Morad (Habbulaas), Tukhm-e-Kahu Mukashar, Gule Surkh
Easily digestible, light and soft diets are advised by the Unani physicians.
According to Professor Basheer Ahmed of Al-Arif Unani Hospital and Unani College, Hyderabad, Telangana says that preventive medicines for COVID-19 are available in the Unani system of medicine. “The allopathy medicines have side-effects and reduce the immunity whereas the Unani medicines increase immunity and therefore help in the prevention of the COVID-19 which affect the lungs. Unani medicines have a successful history of offering immunity against SARS which affects the respiratory system.
Unani seeks inclusion in fight against Coronavirus
Earlier, in November 2019, Ashwini Choubey, Union Minister of State for Health, had in his address to the upper house, Rajya Sabha, had informed that 11.59 lakh allopathic doctors were registered with state medical councils and the Medical Council of India (MCI) till March 2019. According to him, even if 80 percent of the allopathic doctors were available, it would amount to 9.27 lakh doctors. This puts the allopathic doctor-patient ratio at 1:1445. However, if Ayurveda, Unani, Siddha, and Homeopathy are included, the doctor-to-patient ratio would stand at 1:860, much better than the 1:1000 benchmark.
Meanwhile, the Madras High Court has issued a notice to the Government of Tamil Nadu to consider representations looking into alternative medicines – Ayurveda, Unani, Siddha, and Homeopathy, for the prevention of Coronavirus (COVID-19).
COVID-19 Alert: If you think you have been exposed to novel coronavirus (COVID-19), and have developed any symptoms (cough, fever or difficulty breathing), call the Govt. of India helpline 1075 or the state helpline numbers for assistance.