Health Benefits of Spearmint
Spearmint is known by the scientific name of ‘Mentha Spicata’ and is one of the most recognised flavouring agents utilised in numerous foods. This mint belongs to the country of Europe however over the years it has spread to numerous other parts of the world. This plant is known to contain square shaped leaves and is one of the perennial herbs found in the mountain regions. It is one of the best utilised herbs found commonly in kitchen and is an active ingredient in numerous toothpastes as well as creams. Below we mention some of the common health benefits of this herb.
Primary Use of this Herb
This herb has been known to be used as a flavouring agent and is also known for its anti-bacterial effects. Found in almost every kitchen this herb is an active ingredient in toothpastes as well as mouthwashes.
Chemical And Nutrient Content in Spearmint
Health Benefits of Spearmint
- Is known to have Anti-Bacterial Properties
Spearmint has been associated with maintenance of oral health and at the same time it helps in keeping your breath fresh. Compounds such as menthol prevent numerous sorts of infections from entering within the body and are responsible for maintaining the health of gums.
- Helps in Improving the Respiratory Health
Spearmint is also known to improve your overall respiratory health and is known to possess anti-inflammatory properties. It is helpful in treating issue such as sore throat and is also helpful in relieving chest congestion.
- Helps in the process of Digestion
Spearmint is one of the major herbs the role of which is to allow a smooth digestion process. This herb is a common supplement to consume during pregnancy when the mother is facing issues such as nausea and morning sickness. It is also a common aid for treating issues such as flatulence and bloating.
- Helps in Maintaining Hormonal Balance
For women who happen to suffer from issues such as hormonal imbalance, spearmint proves to be an effective cure. Spearmint has proved to have a reduced metabolic stress in women by lowering the levels of excessive testosterone.
- Helps in the process of Circulation
Spearmint is said to have high iron content within it and is also known to satisfy the daily intake of iron required by the body. It helps in production of RBC’s. This therefore not only helps in circulation of the blood throughout the body but at the same time prevents issues such as anaemia from occurring.
- Is known to act as a stress reliever
Menthol present in this herb is known to act as a powerful stress reliever and tends to have a soothing effect on the nerve. It helps in production of a relaxed state and can treat issues such as chronic stress.
- Helps in Prevention against numerous chronic diseases
This herb is known to contain numerous nutrients which tend to contain a high volume of anti-oxidants and is helpful in prevention against numerous chronic diseases such as cancer.
- Helps in Maintaining the Heart Health
This herb is known to contain high volumes of potassium which are known to act as a vasodilator and hence it tends to release any stress present over blood vessels and arteries and hence it prevents any issues such as strokes or heart attacks.
How to Use
- The leaves of this herb have been utilised in order to flavour numerous dishes as well as beverages.
- The aroma of these leaves is used in numerous items such as mouthwash and toothpastes.
- Leaves of this plant are also used to extract essential oil which is known to be healthy as well as helpful in treating numerous health issues.
- Tea prepared from the leaves of this herb is also known to be very beneficial for health.
Numerous people are allergic to mint and hence may experience side effects such as rashes or skin infections.